THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS

.

I just finished this book after picking it up for the second time. And the very achievement that I finished it in four days whetted my appetite for more. However, I take a moment off and capture my reaction.

When I picked up the book for the first time, all I knew that it was an award winning book. The title meant something else to me.And I dropped it after few chapters for some reason.

A week ago, I picked up the book again. And now, I can say it is a masterpiece. The description of the story is something I really admire. The way children perceive the world around, the source of different thoughts into their mind, and those thoughts popping in and out...everything is just beautifully described. The vernacular touch was also appreciable. The book actually deserves the BOOKER PRIZE.

Arundhati Roy has simply done a brilliant work. The way a sad, gloomy story has been put into words to fill it with innocent and humorous colors, really caught my attention.

The oneness of twins, the way they fought around themselves with the sarcasm and hostile feelings and their dealing with their mother’s fury was simply amazing. I could really see a movie running in some part of my mind.

The USP of the novel is the description.The words really say a lot here. And the writing style is something that I will always appreciate. The humour was another element that added life to the entire story perceived from the innocent eyes. The way the story was switching on and off between the past and the present was also beautiful.


However, I think I am not fully convinced with the character Ammu, the mother of two little midwives. The character was not really given the space it required to justify it’s acts. But I guess that was also a beauty of the story… to leave the loose ends for reader's imagination...

A must read, I recommend.

.

Comments

Vipul Sharma said…
Sorry, I beg to disagree, though for no reason other than idiosyncratic. I detest her writing style. I don't know why, though I've been told its because I am a mythological bubble (ask orion/slash what that means, I have no clue either).

Still, I have not been able to read anything written by her after my first attempt on that book with the word "Empire" in the title.

To each, his/her own, I guess.

I'm reading the History of the Indian Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra. Highly recommend it for a comprehensive history of the Freedom struggle. Found it mostly unbiased. Truly a work worth mentioning to those few like you who will appreciate it.

Oh, and I am also reading a textbook on Oceanography, for some odd reason. I found it at my fav book-wallah, and picked it up. Def recommend that too, though only as a soporific. :)
Charu Smita said…
Hah.. m not amazed by the comment anyway. Already got "an unexpected reaction" by a friend to whom I recommended this book, and heard lot many stories about people's reaction.. And frankly, m surprised! Is it me who has a different liking? Or the people around me are crazy? I loved that book anyway, the reasons I have already mentioned. But with all this disappointment,the only thing I have to say is that "i just dont care" :) And you will find this blog being updated frequently with such masterpieces :)

Popular posts from this blog

SNAKES & LADDERS!

Behind the frame..

Goosebumps & crankiness: Blame the food!